In the tranquil seaside town of Monterey, California, nothing is quite as it seems. Doting moms, successful husbands, adorable children, beautiful homes: What lies will be told to keep their perfect worlds from unraveling?
Told through the eyes of three mothers – Madeline, Celeste and Jane – Big Little Lies paints a picture of a town fueled by rumors and divided into the haves and have-nots, exposing the conflicts, secrets and betrayals that compromise relationships between husbands and wives, parents and children, and friends and neighbors.
Based on the New York Times number-one bestseller of the same name by Liane Moriarty, this seven-part limited series is a subversive, darkly comedic drama that weaves a tale of murder and mischief as it explores society’s myth of perfection and the contradictions that exist beneath our idealized façade of marriage, sex, parenting and friendship.
Photos: Gallery at Glamour Reese Witherspoon
A whirlwind of energy and good intentions, Madeline’s compulsion to set things right has unintended consequences.
Madeline is a part-time worker and full-time mom who’s always looking out for her children’s best interests, even if they didn’t ask her to do that.
When asked if Madeline was self-aware, Witherspoon said, “She’s aware she’s the most dynamic person in the room. [laughs] She’s’ hyper aware about a lot of things.”
To give you an even better idea about Madeline, who Witherspoon says gets a little less “controlling” and “high-strung” as the series progresses, Witherspoon shared the following exchange after expressing doubts about taking on the role.
“I said to Jean-Marc [Vallee] ‘I’m not sure I can play this character.’ And he said, ‘What? You’re perfect for this character.’ To which I responded, ‘Well, that’s kind of insulting…’”
Season Episode # – ”
Original Air Date:
• On the night of this year’s Golden Globes, after winning the trophy for best TV limited series, Reese and Nicole received an email from Meryl Streep who said “I suppose now I have to join you.” Nicole said that she and Reese “were just shocked.” Meryl signed on without a script – “She hadn’t even read it. That’s how much she wanted to support us”, Nicole said. Nicole also spoke about wanting “to deliver a series for her that she’s great in. Reese and I were like, ‘We want this for her and for the other women.’ They have much stronger roles in the second one.”
• When asked in late in 2018 if they would consider a third season Nicole said “I think it would be hard to get the whole group together. But we would love to do it.”
• Reese Witherspoon – “”
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s Press page (related: 20 interviews)
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 Appearances Gallery
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 Magazine Scans Gallery
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 video interviews
• Glamour Reese Witherspoon‘s 20 talk show video interviews
• News & Updates for H at Glamour Reese Witherspoon